Factsheets: new Spent Convictions process (Homosexual Activity) in SA


Department for Correctional Services & Attorney-General’s Department (SA), Page last updated 26 July 2021

If the court rules that you’re guilty of a crime, the conviction will probably appear on your National Police Certificate (NPC), which is often referred to as a ‘police check’. Not all convictions stay on your record forever. It’s possible to have some removed, or ‘spent’.  There’s a special process for applying to spend offences for conduct that’s no longer a crime – eg homosexual activity.

A separate process is used because homosexual activity should never have been a crime, and so removing the convictions needs to be assessed differently.

A spent conviction will not appear on your police records check and doesn’t have to be disclosed when you’re asked about your criminal history.

Find out more:

By J Pope

Your sidebar area is currently empty. Hurry up and add some widgets.