1800RESPECT, March 2020
The Disability Support Toolkit has resources for front line workers supporting people with disability who have been impacted by violence and abuse.
People with disability are 1.8 times more likely to experience violence and abuse, including more varied forms of abuse. (Source: AIHW Report 2019.) They are also less likely, and take longer to reach out for support.
This Toolkit includes:
- Research paper on best practice to implement the disability toolkit
- Videos to share with clients on how to contact the 1800RESPECT service and how the service works
- Easy English booklets that can be downloaded or ordered free from 1800RESPECT.
This Toolkit can be used in conjunction with information provided on our website on Inclusive Practice: Supporting people with disability.
‘Putting it into practice’ Guidelines
The ‘Putting it into Practice’ guidelines are a resource to support access and inclusion. The guidelines provide information on:
- General principles
- Engaging women with disabilities, including language
- Using specialist resources
This set of 3 videos were co-developed by Scope and 1800RESPECT. They are designed to be viewed by people with disability, and include information on how to contact 1800RESPECT, and how the service works.
- Watch the videos here
Easy English booklets
The Easy English booklets have been developed as part of the Disability Pathways Project and with Women with Disabilities Australia. They are evidence based, user group tested and easy to use.
- 1800RESPECT Easy English book 1: Learn about violence
- 1800RESPECT Easy English book 2: Learn about rights
- 1800RESPECT Easy English book 3: Where violence happens and who can do violence
Sunny is 1800RESPECT’s app for women with disability who have experienced violence and abuse. Sunny has been co-designed with women with disability to make sure it provides the very best support for the people who use it. Learn more about Sunny. Sunny is free to download and is free to use on your phone.
- Read more of this post here: www.1800respect.org.au/inclusive-practice/disability-support-toolkit/